Frequently Asked Questions
Click the + icon to reveal the answer
Who can have an assessment?
Anyone can come for an assessment, but most clients are referred to us. We carry out assessments for the DVLA, Access To Work, Motability, solicitors and insurance companies.
How long does it take?
The time will vary depending on the nature of the assessment but be prepared to spend up to three hours for a full driver assessment.
How much does it cost?
The current fees are listed on the application form and will depend on the type of assessment you have. To avoid wasted appointments we do ask for full payment of the fee with your application form.
In the event of a cancellation the fee will be refunded in full, provided that seven days notice is given, or medical evidence of inability to attend is produced.
Do I need to prepare anything before I come for the assessment?
No, but the regulations regarding eyesight mean that you need to be able to read a vehicle registration plate at a distance of 20.5 metres in good daylight, either with or without glasses.
It will be necessary for you to demonstrate this at the beginning of your driving assessment. If you cannot do this it will mean that the assessment cannot go ahead, so it is best that you check you can meet these requirements prior to attending.
What do I need to bring?
- Please bring your valid driving licence, if you have one.
- Spectacles (driving and reading if appropriate).
- If you normally use mobility equipment such as a wheelchair or splints please bring these with you.
What happens on the day?
For a driving assessment you are likely to see an Approved Driving Instructor and if necessary an Occupational Therapist. For your familiarisation drive we have an off road training area. Depending on your performance and the status of your licence, you may then proceed to a drive on the public highway. We have a range of vehicles, both manual and automatic transmission; all are fitted with an instructor’s brake for safety.
How do I apply?
There are three ways you can apply for an assessment:
- You can phone us on 0300 300 2240 and ask for an application pack to be sent to you by post.
- You can fill-in and print an application form from this website by clicking the Application tab at the top of this website. You will need to post it back to us with a cheque.
- You can complete an online application and pay by credit card.
What happens afterwards?
A few days after your assessment, you will receive a comprehensive typed report with professional recommendations and advice about what to do next.